We kicked off Internet Week by attending an AOL presentation on the intersection of impact and cause-related social marketing, featuring Huffington Post Media Group Editor-in-Chief Arianna Huffington and Johnson & Johnson VP of Corporate Affairs Brian Perkins and moderated by AOL President of Global Advertising and Strategy Jeff Levick.
According to Huffington, cause-related marketing is not just a question of contribution, it should be build into a brand’s DNA. She believes that companies that don’t start embracing and supporting causes that people (their customers) care about will not be able to exist in the future.
And Perkin’s pointed out that the three trends in cause-related marketing in the near future –
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Metrics – because all of these good deeds must be measured. Every dollar counts and companies should know how they impact the cause.
And Huffington’s advice for those entrepreneurs starting out –
- Remain true to your DNA. Don’t lose your identity.
- Take risks and ignore the nay sayers.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep. Your brain can’t work when it’s over tired.
And all agreed, when it comes to cause-related marketing, it’s about putting the needs of others first.