One of the most helpful documents you can create is a Press Fact Sheet for editors/writers and journalists who are looking to feature or review your company in their respective media outlet. Whether it be for their blog, trade journal or national consumer magazine, answering their FAQ’s before the interview will save you time and energy.
- This document will come in handy when a writer who is on deadline calls at 5 pm before a holiday weekend and tells you that he/she would like to feature you and needs the answers before 6:30 pm.
- It also helps to ensure that your key messages are appropriately positioned in their story the way you want to share them with the world.
Here is a sampling of questions and answers you should include in your Press Fact Sheet.
- What precisely is the nature of your business?
- What is your philosophy?
- What makes your operation so unique?
- Who created your company? Who was and is the visionary?
- What is their background? Where did they work before?
- When was your business formally launched?
- How many people does your company employ?
- Where is your company based?
- Who is the spokesperson for your company?
- What does your company offer it’s customers/clients?
- What is the average demographic (age, race, etc) of your customer base?
- What are your proprietary products/services and why are they so special?
- What are your average retail price points?
- Who do you consider to be your competition?
- What is your trophy product/service? Your best sellers?
- What trends do you see evolving in your industry?
- What are your hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future?
Remember to keep your answers detailed, interesting but brief and include any awards that your company has won. This document should not be more than one page and should be in a locked PDF file that can easily be emailed to anyone writing about your business.